Frequently Asked Questions About the ZEN30 Double Switch
Find the answers to your questions quickly by searching key words!
- Press the CTRL and F keys at the same time on your keyboard. A little box should pop up in your browser window.
- Type in a key word in your question like "hub" or "compatible". You should see your key word highlighted every time it is mentioned on the page.
- Use the arrow keys in the search box to jump to each instance that your key word is mentioned.
Will multiple ZEN30's fit next to each other in a double / triple gang switch box?
- Yes. Each set up is different so we're unable to verify 100% without being on site, but Zooz switches are a similar size to other electronic Z-Wave switches on the market. Most users report no issues fitting two or three Zooz switches side by side.
- ZEN30 Dimensions: 1.1" deep, 1.7" wide, 4.1" tall.
Can the ZEN30 be used in 12-24V or 240V installations?
- No. The ZEN30 is rated for 120 VAC, 60 Hz and cannot be connected to a transformer supplied fixture or be used in a low voltage installation. Please make sure to review the provided manual thoroughly, including the Caution section, before installing your Double Switch.
Can I use the ZEN30 dry contact relay to control a low voltage device such as garage door opener?
- The ZEN30 Double Switch is powered by 120 V so you would need a high-voltage switch box to power it and separate the low-voltage connections to accommodate the code. It's technically possible but could create more work than benefits here. We usually recommend the ZEN16 MultiRelay for use with garage door openers.
Can the ZEN30 be installed outdoors?
- While the ZEN30 is rated for indoor use, it should be okay to use in a weatherproof box. It's best if the box is plastic rather than metal, not to cause too much interference for the Z-Wave signal though. Metal and glass are really effective at disrupting Z-Wave signals.
Which wall plates and regular on/off switches do you recommend so that they match my Double Switch?
- We recommend the Leviton white wall plates and Leviton white on / off switches, both usually available in most hardware stores.
- You can find other accessory and installation recommendations here: Recommended Accessories for Your ZEN30 Double Switch
How do I install my Double Switch?
- Your ZEN30 should come with a manual containing the most common wiring set-ups. It is very important to identify the wiring correctly before installing the ZEN30 as incorrect wiring can damage the electronics inside the switch. The ZEN30 can only be installed in a single pole set-up.
- Find wiring diagrams for the ZEN30 in the manual here.
How Can I Identify the Wiring For My Double Switch?
- Your ZEN30 comes with lifetime tech support and we're happy to help identify the wiring in your set-up and provide custom wiring instructions, free of charge. However, our techs are not magicians, mind readers, or telepaths with the ability to verify wiring without clear images from the switch box involved in your set-up. Please review the requirements in this article before submitting your images and wiring diagram request to Zooz support.
What if I want to use the ZEN30 in all locations or have smart control from every wall switch in my smart home?
What kind of loads are the dimmer and relay portions rated for?
- Dimmer: 75 W LED, 250 W incandescent (don't use with tube lights, chandeliers, switched receptacles, or fans)
- Relay: 15A (for a resistive load); 7-8A of the 15A can be used with an inductive load (like LED lights) which equates to around 800 watts (depending on the voltage spike at start-up, quality of LED, etc.)
What kind of set-ups or use cases do you recommend for the ZEN30 Double Switch?
Can I use the ZEN30 to control something other than lights?
- Fan Control: Can I Use My Zooz Light Switch with a Fan?
- Outlet/Receptacle Control: Can I Use My Zooz Light Switch with a Switched Receptacle?
- Tube/Ballast Lights: Can My Zooz Light Switches Be Used with Tube Lights?
I've used a ZEN30 with some of the above before - why can't I use it now?
- If you've previously used a ZEN30 without issue, then consider it a lucky unit. The ZEN30 is a smart device with special electronics that need to be connected to appropriate loads. Otherwise, the electronic components can be damaged by the load either immediately or over time. Please do not connect Zooz switches/dimmers to anything other than the approved loads under a given switch's maximum ratings.
Do you have any devices for fan speed control?
- No. We do not have any speed control options for fans available. All current options (ZEN30, ZEN71, ZEN51, and ZEN52) are all ON/OFF control only. Because fans can have different speed options (3, 5, etc) it is difficult to develop a device that would suit a wide range of fan options so we will most likely not develop a device for fan speed control in the near future.
Which LED Bulbs Can I Use with My ZEN30?
- Not all LED bulbs will work seamlessly with all Z-Wave switches. We no longer publish a database of verified working LED bulbs (manufacturers change components way too often for that), so here are some general tips that we hope will help you make the best choice for your smart lighting.
Can I connect my Double Switch to halogen bulbs?
- NO. Halogen bulbs, similar to tube lights, produce high inrush current that could damage the ZEN30 so we don't recommend using any of our Zooz switches in locations with halogen bulbs. Even if the wattage is rated at or under a given switch/dimmer's maximum rating, halogens can draw over 40 times more than the listed rating. The switches should only be used with LED/CFL or incandescent bulbs within their maximum ratings.
Can I use smart bulbs with the Double Switch?
- Yes. The Double Switch has a special Smart Bulb Mode setting, which disables the manual and/or Z-Wave control for the ZEN30. This is important because otherwise you would be cutting power to the smart bulbs and not be able to control them wirelessly / remotely.
Can I use my Double Switch without a load connected?
- Yes. The switch will then act as a remote / scene controller - you'll need to add it to your Z-Wave hub, and program scenes or automations that will be triggered by the number of taps on the dimmer or relay portions.
Is the ZEN30 available in other colors?
- No. The ZEN30 is available only in white and there are currently no plans to introduce it in other colors.
Can I paint the paddle of my Double Switch?
- We wouldn't recommend it, as the paddle is not removeable / replaceable, and if the paint got inside the unit, it could stop functioning.
What is the warranty coverage for the ZEN30 Double Switch?
- Zooz 700 and 800 series devices (like the ZEN30 VER 3.0) are covered by a 5-year warranty. Please register your device here and review the full warranty policy here.
- Zooz 500 series devices (like the ZEN30 VER 1.0 and 2.0) are covered by a 12-month warranty.
Where can I find the ZEN30 device manual?
UNIQUE SET-UP QUESTIONS
Can a Zooz switch be operated in a switched Neutral configuration?
- NO. Zooz switches need both power and neutral from the same source available in the box to work properly. Any other installation/scenario will damage the equipment. Switched neutral is also not up to code so we recommend having the installation wired per the requirements of the NEC for your own safety.
POWER OUTAGE QUESTIONS
Is it common for the ZEN30 to malfunction or stop working after a power outage?
- No. Power outages can sometimes damage the electronics inside Zooz switches, even if they were connected to appropriate loads. The sudden inrush current when power is restored damages the electronics and there is nothing that can be done on the device hardware side to help prevent that unfortunately.
PRODUCT FUNCTIONALITY QUESTIONS
Does the ZEN30 have power / energy monitoring features?
- No. None of our switches/dimmers have energy monitoring capabilities and there currently aren't any plans to include this functionality in the near future.
Can I program the dimmer portion of the ZEN30 to act as an on/off switch instead?
- Yes. You can configure the dimmer to work as an on/off switch by setting the minimum brightness level at 99 (which is effectively full brightness) and the ramp rate to instant on/off (value 0). That will turn the dimmer to an on/off switch. Just make sure that your hub supports advanced setting (parameter) input.
What LED driver is used in the ZEN30 Double Switch?
- The ZEN30 VER 2.0 and VER 3.0 use TRIAC (also known as magnetic low voltage / forward phase / leading edge)
- The ZEN30 VER 1.0 used MOSFET (electronic low voltage / trailing edge) and is now discontinued.
Why do all of your dimmers now use TRIAC?
- We found that newer LED bulbs dimmed better with TRIAC dimmers, and considering limited availability for MOSFETS, we decided to transfer all Zooz dimmers to use TRIAC.
Do you still have any MOSFET dimmers available?
- No. Unless we receive some earlier version units as returns (which is highly unlikely), we no longer have any ZEN30 VER 1.0 units available.
I have the earlier 500 series version of the ZEN30 - what's new with the 700 series version?
- The ZEN30 VER 3.0 uses the 700 series Z-Wave chip and has improved dimmer components with a TRIAC (also known as magnetic low voltage / forward phase / leading edge) LED driver.
Will the ZEN30 act as a signal repeater for other Z-Wave devices in my network?
- Yes. Your Z-Wave hub decides which devices to use to reach other Z-Wave devices. Any non-battery powered Z-Wave device will act as a signal repeater; it would be up to your hub whether or not it will be used in a communication route.
Do I need a Z-Wave hub to buy this device?
- No. The Double Switch functions like a regular switch/dimmer and can be used as such without a Z-Wave hub; however, to control the device remotely and access the advanced features, you would need a Z-Wave hub. The Double Switch communicates via Z-Wave, and would require a hub to allow you to control it remotely.
- To control any of our Z-Wave devices remotely through your smart phone, you'll need a compatible Z-Wave hub. These devices require a central controller that communicates with them and sends commands. Once you have a controller, you would download that controller's dedicated app on your phone and control your connected devices through that app.
Will I still be able to control the connected load manually if my Z-Wave hub is down or offline?
- Yes. The ZEN30 functions like a regular switch/dimmer and can control your lights or fan if the hub is offline.
Is the Double Switch compatible with my hub?
- You can find a list of compatible hubs for a given device under the Works With section on the product's page. Here is the list of hubs compatible with the ZEN30.
Will the ZEN30 work with my alarm panel?
- Alarm panels like Alarm.com will typically only support single switches, door locks, select thermostats, and any authorized items on their list. We would recommend reaching out to your alarm panel company to verify compatibility and to get the latest on any device integrations they may be working on.
- To our best knowledge, most alarm panels don't support multichannel devices so the Double Switch won't display correctly in their interface. It will not create two separate devices like an open Z-Wave hub would, allowing you to control the dimmer and relay parts separately. There is nothing about the Double Switch that we could change to improve compatibility with alarm panels, since this is a limitation of the hub and how it displays multichannel devices. It would be up to your alarm panel to integrate the device, as it follows Z-Wave protocol and has been Z-Wave certified. There is nothing we can change on our end to have the device be recognized correctly. Read more about alarm panel compatibility here.
Where do I find all of my ZEN30's advanced settings?
How do I add the Double Switch to my Z-Wave hub?
- Find pairing/inclusion instructions and other troubleshooting articles for the Double Switch here. You will see sections for the most popular hubs: SmartThings, Hubitat, Home Assistant, Z-Box Hub, and general Z-Wave System.
How do I program scenes or automations on my Z-Wave hub?
- If your hub supports scene control / automation, and you have access to the advanced settings of your Double Switch, then we recommend checking out the Scene Control On Zooz Light Switches section in our Knowledge Base for instructions for the most popular Z-Wave hubs.
How can I tell what firmware my ZEN30 is running on?
- The firmware that your switch is shipped with should be printed on the back of the device where the model specifications are. If your hub supports and properly integrates the device, you should also see the firmware listed in your Z-Wave interface.
- Firmware that is listed as 1.01 (or any other value with a 0 in the middle) in the sensor's change log may display as 1.1 in your hub.
How do I update the firmware of my Double Switch?
- Some Z-Wave hubs have a built-in firmware updater that you can use. Otherwise, we recommend using the PC Controller tool on the Simplicity Studio Software as described here. You will need to register your device in order to have access to Zooz firmware files.
How long does the update take? How do I know when it's finished?
- Firmware updates should usually take anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes depending on connection quality and how much information needs to actually be updated on a given device.
- If it is taking longer than that, please try to bring the hub / controller closer to the device that is being updated.
Where can I find the history of changes and firmware updates for the ZEN30?
What series Z-Wave chip does the ZEN30 use?
- The ZEN30 VER 3.0 uses a 700 series Z-Wave chip. We are in the process of updating this model to the new 800 series Z-Wave chip so it should be 800 series by the end of 2023.
- The ZEN30 VER 1.0 and 2.0 are discontinued models that used the 500 series Z-Wave chip.
Will the Double Switch be available in other Z-Wave frequencies?
- No. The ZEN30 is currently available in 908.42 MHz (US) frequency only. We do not currently have plans to release it in EU or AU frequency.
Check out the Zooz Knowledge Base for free support articles about the Double Switch (and all of our devices)! If you can't find your answer there, reach out to us!