How to Perform an OTA Firmware Update on Zooz Devices
You can keep most of our products up to date by using the OTA (over-the-air) method. Many Z-Wave hubs don't support this type of upgrades yet so we created custom instructions using free third party software to update your devices.
If you're on Hubitat, you're in luck. The community developer Bryan Copeland created a tool to update Z-Wave devices over the air straight from the hub. Click here to learn more and remember to say thanks to Bryan in the forum thread if you end up using his Firmware Updater.
What you'll need:
- A Z-Wave USB stick / dongle from any manufacturer (click here to get the S2 Zooz Z-Wave Plus Stick) - if you're using one with an open source set-up (Home Assistant, OpenHAB, etc) you can use the same Z-Wave stick here
- A laptop or PC with at least 1 available USB port
- The PC Controller software (download and accept terms here, you may need to contact Silicon Labs to get permission for download after you register) or another OTA Z-Wave firmware tool (like the Z-Flash from HomeSeer)
- Your Zooz device and an OTA firmware file received from our team (Not sure if your device can be updated or if you're on the latest firmware? Click here and ask!)
How to update your device if it hasn't been added to your hub yet:
- Insert the Z-Wave USB stick to a USB port on your computer
- Start the PC Controller software
- Click on Settings (the gear icon in the top right corner)
- Check the recognized USB controller on the list in the dialog window. If there's nothing there, click DETECT and then REFRESH. If the USB stick still doesn't show up, you may need to install special drivers so please contact the manufacturer of the device for instructions.
- Click on Network Management
- Click on ADD to enroll the controller in inclusion mode, then activate your Z-Wave device the same way you did when adding it to your hub (Not sure how to do that? Click here and ask us!)
- Once the device is successfully included, please select and check it in the dialog window on the left. Then click on the OTA firmware icon (arrow pointing up) in the side menu:
- Wake the Zooz device up if it's battery-powered (Not sure how to do that? Click here and ask us!), then select and check it in the new dialog window. You need to be able to see the current firmware version displayed in the upper part of the dialog window. The click on GET.
- The folder icon will become active - click on it and locate the OTA firmware file, select, and open it.
- Once the name of the file name appears next to the folder icon, click on UPDATE and wait for the process to be completed. Progress bar will display on the bottom of the screen, followed by a "Success" or "Completed" message.
- Go back to main menu and click on Network Management again.
- Click on REMOVE to exclude your Z-Wave devices the same way you did when removing it from your hub (Not sure how to do that? Click here and ask us!)
- Add the Zooz device back to your hub.
As usual, if you come across any issues during the process, feel free to reach out to our team, we're here to help!