SmartThings usually recognizes simple devices but does not display many of the available advanced settings.
Custom handlers are pieces of code that allow users to take advantage of all of the advanced settings some of the newest devices offer; this allows you to fully customize the device if needed. SmartThings has been slower with officially integrating new Z-Wave products, so the community fills in that gap by creating custom handlers.
If you haven't added a device handler before, it's an easy process that only takes a few minutes. It will give you access to all of the ZEN21 On/Off Switch's advanced settings, like paddle and LED indicator control:
- Exclude the switch from your network and log in here with the same information you use for your SmartThings app.
- Click on My Device Handlers in the top menu.
- In the top right corner, click on "Create new device handler" and choose "from code" from the top tab menu. You'll be presented with a blank area where you can paste the code from the following link. Please click on this link to access the code, then copy ALL of the code from the page.
- Next, scroll to the bottom and click Create.
- Now click Save, then click Publish > For Me.
You should now see this device type in your list of device handlers. Now you can include the On/Off Switch to your SmartThings hub using the steps outlined here. The device should be automatically discovered as the Zooz On/Off Switch, or something similar.
To customize the advanced settings in ST: once the handler is installed and the device is included to your SmartThings network, click on the ZEN21 in your app and tap the 3 dots in the top right corner of the app. Then tap Settings. There you'll be able to customize your device.
If you're having issues during the handler installation process or anything else, please reach out to us!