Before adding your switch to SmartThings, make sure it works fine when controlled manually.
Now it's time to add the switch to SmartThings. The switch will work out of the box, but we recommend you add the custom device handler to enable advanced features.
If you'd like to add the switch using the newer SmartThings app, follow the steps below:
- Tap the plus icon in the home screen
- Tap Device
- Tap "Scan nearby" (in the corner of the screen)
- While the app says "Scanning...", tap the UPPER paddle 3 times quickly (LED indicator will start flashing)
- The app will indicate when the device connects
- Tap Edit to rename the device, and tap Done to save the name
- Tap Done to complete the setup
Here's how to add your switch to SmartThings using the SmartThings Classic app:
- Tap "Add thing" in your Classic app
- On the switch, tap the UPPER paddle 3 times quickly
- A new on / off device will appear on your device list
Once the switch is included, it never hurts to perform network repair to optimize connectivity. This will help SmartThings find the best communication route to the switch. Here's how to repair the network.
If you're having issues including your device to SmartThings, we'd recommend excluding it using the instructions here and then re-including once more.
If you have any questions about the process or you're running into issues, please reach out to us! We're always happy to help.