SmartThings usually recognizes simple devices but does not display many of the available advanced settings. Custom handlers are pieces of code that allow users to take advantage of all of the advanced settings some of the newest devices offer; this allows you to fully customize the device if needed. SmartThings has been slower with officially integrating new Z-Wave products, so the community fills in that gap by creating custom handlers. Without this handler, your sensor may not update and display all of its values properly.
If you haven't added a device handler before, the process is simple and takes less than 5 minutes. It will give you access to all of the 4-in-1 Sensor's advanced settings and configuration options, and help ensure that it's correctly configured in the network.
1. Exclude the sensor from your network and log in here with the same information you use for your SmartThings app.
2. Click on My Device Handlers in the top menu.
3. In the top right corner, click on "Create new device handler" and choose "from code" from the top tab menu. You'll be presented with a blank area where you can paste the code from the following link. Please click on this link to access the code, then copy ALL of the code from the page.
4. Next, scroll to the bottom and click Create.
5. Now click Save, then click Publish > For Me.
You should now see this device type in your list of device handlers. Now add the ZSE40 to SmartThings by clicking on "Add thing" in your app and pressing and releasing the Z-Wave button on the sensor TWICE quickly (more on the inclusion process here). Remember to keep the device within direct range of your hub during inclusion. The sensor should be automatically discovered as the Zooz 4-in-1.
Once you include the device and move it to its installation location, it's a good idea to perform Network Repair to ensure good connectivity. This will help SmartThings find the most efficient communication route to your 4-in-1 Sensor. Here's how to perform Network Repair.
And once the handler is installed and the sensor is included to your SmartThings network, click on the ZSE40 sensor in your app and click on the gear icon in the top right corner to access the device's advanced settings. There you'll be able to customize the sensor to your needs.
If you're having issues during the handler installation process or anything else, please reach out to us!