Your ZEN26 Switch will work with the SmartThings app out of the box, and you can access advanced settings once you've installed the custom device handler.
SmartThings usually recognizes simple devices but does not display many of the available advanced settings. Custom handlers are pieces of code that allow users to take advantage of all of the advanced settings some of the newest devices offer; this allows you to fully customize the device if needed. SmartThings has been slower with officially integrating new Z-Wave products, so the community fills in that gap by creating custom handlers.
You can take advantage of the advanced settings in the SmartThings apps, but we recommend you add the handler first. If you haven't added one before, it's an easy process that only takes a few minutes. It will let you customize on/off status recovery, auto on/off timers, LED indicator control, and paddle control. And if for some reason SmartThings isn't recognizing the device correctly, the handler can help with configuration.
- Exclude the switch from your network and log in here with the same information you use for your SmartThings app.
- Click on My Device Handlers in the top menu.
- In the top right corner, click on "Create new device handler" and choose "from code" from the top tab menu. You'll be presented with a blank area where you can paste the code from the following link. Please click on this link to access the code, then copy ALL of the code from the page.
- Next, scroll to the bottom and click Create.
- Now click Save, then click Publish > For Me.
You should now see this device type in your list of device handlers. Now you can include the On/Off Switch to your SmartThings hub using these steps. The device should be automatically discovered as the Zooz On/Off Switch, or something similar.
New SmartThings app users: once the handler is installed and the device is included to your SmartThings network, click on the ZEN26 in your app and tap the 3 dots in the top right corner of the app. Then tap Settings. There you'll be able to customize your device.
Classic app users: once the handler is installed and the switch is included to your SmartThings network, click on the switch in your app and click on the gear icon in the top right corner to access the device's advanced settings. There you'll be able to customize your switch.
If you're having issues during the handler installation process or anything else, don't hesitate to reach out.