Exclude to include? Sounds weird, but exclusion is like a reset and we find it helps with all types of inclusion and configuration issues!
The ZEN26 switch will work with SmartThings out of the box. We recommend you add the handler to customize your device. If you're seeing inclusion issues with your switch, we recommend excluding it from the network and giving it another try. Devices don't need to be included properly to be able to be excluded. Depending on the app you're using, check out the exclusion steps below.
For the new SmartThings app:
- Tap on your hub in the home page of the app
- Tap the three dots in the top right
- Tap Z-Wave Utilities
- Tap Z-Wave Exclusion
- While the app is searching for a device, tap the lower paddle 3 times quickly
- The app will indicate when the device is successfully removed. Tap Done
For the SmartThings Classic App:
- Tap the menu icon in your SmartThings app
- Tap Hub is online
- Tap Z-Wave Utilities
- Tap General Device Exclusion
- The app will show this message: “Please follow the manufacturer’s instructions to remove the Z-Wave device from My SmartThings.” There will also be a spinning circle next to the message “Exclusion Mode Active”
- Tap the LOWER paddle 3 times quickly
- The app will confirm device exclusion
- Tap Done
Once exclusion is completed regardless of which app you're using, try including the switch again using the process outlined here.
If you're still unable to include your switch after exclusion, here are some alternative troubleshoots that may also solve the problem:
- Try the exclusion process again! Sometimes commands from the first run aren't registered correctly, so it's worth a shot.
- Try the inclusion process again, only this time instead of tapping 3 times, tap the paddle 4-5 times as quickly as possible.
- Try adding a Z-Wave signal repeater (any non-battery powered Z-Wave device) between the switch and hub to see if that helps communication. If you have a hand-held secondary hub, bring it out to see if it helps.
- And if you find that your switch is connected but it's not responded to remote commands, take a look at these troubleshoots that have helped users in the past.
But if you're still seeing issues with the exclusion/inclusion process no matter what you try, please let us know! Our team is happy to help.