If you're experiencing inclusion issues with your device, exclusion is always the first thing to try.
But first, check that you've installed the custom device handler for the device using these steps. Without the handler, the MultiRelay won't be recognized by SmartThings correctly.
Once you've confirmed that the handler has been installed, let's move on to exclusion. Exclusion is a type of Z-Wave reset that is effective at solving issues where you can't seem to add a new to your hub. Even if the MultiRelay was never added successfully, you can still use your SmartThings app to exclude the device (the app would simply confirm that an "unknown" device was excluded).
Below are the exclusion steps for the SmartThings app:
- Tap on your hub in the home page of the app
- Tap the three dots in the top right
- Tap Z-Wave Utilities
- Tap Z-Wave Exclusion
- While the app is searching for a device, click the Z-Wave button on the device 3 times very quickly
- The app will indicate when the device is successfully removed. Tap Done
Once exclusion is completed, try including the device again using the process shown here. If you're still unable to include your MultiRelay after exclusion, here are some other things to try:
- Try the exclusion process once more. Sometimes commands from the first run aren't registered correctly, so we find that multiple exclusion attempts can be helpful.
- Try the inclusion process again, only this time instead of clicking the Z-Wave button 3 times, click it 4-5 times as quickly as possible.
- Try adding a Z-Wave signal repeater (any non-battery powered Z-Wave device) between the MultiRelay and hub to see if that helps communication. If you have a hand-held secondary hub, try using it to include the device. This is especially helpful if the relay is located in the garage, a location which can often come with range and connectivity issues.
- And if you find that your device is connected but it's not responding to remote commands, take a look at these connectivity troubleshoots that have helped users in the past.
But if you're still seeing issues with the exclusion/inclusion process no matter what you try, please reach out to us! We're here to help.