Frequently Asked Questions About the ZEN04 Smart Plug
Find the answers to your questions quickly by searching key words!
- Press the CTRL and F keys at the same time on your keyboard. A little box should pop up in your browser window.
- Type in a key word in your question like "hub" or "compatible". You should see your key word highlighted every time it is mentioned on the page.
- Use the arrow keys in the search box to jump to each instance that your key word is mentioned.
Can the ZEN04 be installed outdoors?
- No. The ZEN04 is rated for indoor use only. We would recommend using the ZEN05 Outdoor Plug or ZEN14 Outdoor Double Plug for outdoor use.
Is the ZEN04 available in other colors?
- No. The ZEN04 is available in white only.
What are the dimensions of the ZEN04? How big is the device?
- 1.5" tall, 2.6" wide, 1.14" deep
Will this cover up the other outlet or can other devices be plugged in?
- The ZEN04 plug leaves enough space for the other outlet in your receptacle and will not cover it. You can even fit two smart plugs in the same receptacle!
What kind of devices can or can't I connect to the ZEN04?
- The ZEN04 is suitable for lamps and other small appliances.
- Do NOT plug washers, dryers, refrigerators, or motors over 1/3 hp to this Smart Plug. We recommend the ZEN15 Power Switch for these kinds of loads.
- Connecting heavy duty equipment to this Smart Plug will DAMAGE the device and may cause the connected appliance to malfunction.
What is the warranty coverage for the ZEN04 Smart Plug?
- Zooz 700 and 800 series devices are covered by a 5-year warranty. Please register your device here and review the full warranty policy here.
Where can I find the ZEN04 device manual?
What kind of load is the ZEN04 rated for? What is its maximum rating?
- 960W incandescent, 150W LED bulbs, 15A resistive, 1/3 HP fan motors
Does the ZEN04 have energy or power monitoring?
- Yes. The plug tracks energy use in real time which can then be processed into insightful data logs. If your Z-Wave hub gives you access to advanced settings, you can decide how often the plug reports energy information to your system.
What security level does the ZEN04 pair to my controller or hub with?
- The highest level of security the Smart Plug supports is S2 Authenticated.
Will the ZEN04 act as a signal repeater for other Z-Wave devices in my network?
- Yes. Your Z-Wave hub decides which devices to use to reach other Z-Wave devices. Any non-battery powered Z-Wave device will act as a signal repeater; it would be up to your hub whether or not it will be used in a communication route.
Do I need a Z-Wave hub to buy this device?
- No. The ZEN04 Smart Plug has a button so you can have manual on/off control of the plug and can be used as such without a Z-Wave hub; however, to control the device remotely and access the advanced features, you would need a Z-Wave hub. The ZEN04 communicates via Z-Wave and would require a hub to allow you to control it remotely.
- To control any of our Z-Wave devices remotely through your smart phone, you'll need a compatible Z-Wave hub. These devices require a central controller that communicates with them and sends commands. Once you have a controller, you would download that controller's dedicated app on your phone and control your connected devices through that app.
Will I still be able to control the plug manually if my Z-Wave hub is down or offline?
- Yes. The ZEN04 functions like a regular plug and can control the connected load if the hub is offline.
- To control this plug manually, you press the Z-Wave button on the side of the device once for on/off.
Is the ZEN04 plug compatible with my hub?
- You can find a list of compatible hubs for a given device under the Works With section on the product's page. Here is the list of hubs compatible with the ZEN04.
Will the ZEN04 work with my alarm panel?
- Alarm panels like Alarm.com will typically only support single switches, door locks, select thermostats, and any authorized items on their list. We would recommend reaching out to your alarm panel company to verify compatibility and to get the latest on any device integrations they may be working on.
- The ZEN04 Smart Plug should pair, but you would not have access to the advanced settings. It would be up to your alarm panel to integrate the device, as it follows Z-Wave protocol and has been Z-Wave certified. There is nothing we can change on our end to have the device be recognized correctly; Alarm.com would have to support the integration. Read more about alarm panel compatibility here.
Can I connect the Smart Plug directly to my Amazon Alexa, Google Home, or other smart speaker?
- No. Smart speakers like Alexa or Google are not equipped with a Z-Wave chip and are not Z-Wave gateway controllers.
- Smart speakers are integrated with certain Z-Wave hubs, like SmartThings or Hubitat, which is how you can have voice control of your Z-Wave devices from your smart speakers.
- Without a compatible Z-Wave hub, no Z-Wave products will function correctly with Alexa or Google alone.
Where do I find all of my plug's advanced settings?
How do I add the plug to my Z-Wave hub?
- SmartThings Installation articles
- Hubitat Installation articles
- Home Assistant Installation articles
- Z-Wave System Installation articles
How can I tell what firmware my ZEN04 is running on?
- The firmware that your device is shipped with should be printed on the back of the device where the model specifications are. If your hub supports and properly integrates the device, you should also see the firmware listed in your Z-Wave interface.
- Firmware that is listed as 1.01 (or any other value with a 0 in the middle) in the ZEN04's change log may display as 1.1 in your hub.
How do I update the firmware of my ZEN04?
- Some Z-Wave hubs have a built-in firmware updater that you can use. Otherwise, we recommend using the PC Controller tool on the Simplicity Studio Software as described here. You will need to register your device in order to have access to Zooz firmware files.
How long does the update take? How do I know when it's finished?
- Firmware updates should usually take anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes depending on connection quality and how much information needs to actually be updated on a given device.
- If it is taking longer than that, please try to bring the hub / controller closer to the device that is being updated.
Where can I find the history of changes and firmware updates for the ZEN04?
What series Z-Wave chip does the ZEN04 use?
- The ZEN04 uses a 700 series Z-Wave chip. We are in the process of updating this model to the new 800 series Z-Wave chip so it should be 800 series by the end of 2023.
Is the ZEN04 available in other Z-Wave frequencies?
- The ZEN04 is currently available in 908.42 MHz (US) frequency only. We do not currently have plans to release it in EU or AU frequency.
Check out the Zooz Knowledge Base for free support articles about the ZEN04 Smart Plug (and all of our devices)!