Frequently Asked Questions About the ZEN15 Power Switch
Find the answers to your questions quickly by searching key words!
- Press the CTRL and F keys at the same time on your keyboard. A little box should pop up in your browser window.
- Type in a key word in your question like "hub" or "compatible". You should see your key word highlighted every time it is mentioned on the page.
- Use the arrow keys in the search box to jump to each instance that your key word is mentioned.
Can the ZEN15 be installed outdoors?
While it's not specifically rated for outdoor use, users have been able to successfully use the Power Switch outdoors with weatherproof boxes like the SockItBox: http://www.sockitbox.com/
You may also need a waterproof cord to extend to the box as well depending on your set-up. Just make sure that the temperatures won't drop below the ZEN15's operating temperature [14°-104°F (-10°- 40°C)] before installing it outdoors.
What is the operating temperature of the ZEN15?
- 14°-104°F (-10°- 40°C)
Will the ZEN15 work in temperatures outside of the listed operating temperatures?
- It's likely that you may lose Z-Wave control during super cold periods and could damage the electronics inside the plug during super hot periods, if exposed to them continuously.
- We don't recommend keeping the unit in extreme temperatures for long periods at a time.
What are the dimensions of the ZEN15? How big is the device?
- 20” (with cord) x 2.6” 1.1”
- Weight: 10 oz.
Is the ZEN15 available in other colors?
- No. The ZEN15 is available in white only.
Will this cover up the other outlet or can other devices be plugged in?
- The ZEN15 has an angled plug so that it leaves enough space for the other outlet in your receptacle and will not cover it. You can even fit two smart plugs in the same receptacle!
What kind of devices can or can't I connect to the ZEN15?
Could I use the ZEN15 to power a low voltage lighting transformer like this one here for my landscape lighting?
- NO, it is not a supported load for the ZEN15.
- For an installation like this, we recommend using either the ZEN16 Multirelay or ZEN17 Universal Relay between the 12V output side of your transformer and landscaping lightning. This scenario is safe for the ZEN16 or ZEN17 since the 12V is a constant voltage from your magnetic transformer (coil transformer – not an electronic one). With the ZEN16 or ZEN17 you'll also be able to control multiple zones of landscape lightning.
Can I use the ZEN15 to power an electric heater?
- NO. Even if a heating appliance is within the power range of these plugs, we wouldn't recommend automating electric heaters and similar appliances. This is a big fire and safety hazard, since not only should these devices not be left unattended when on, but there's always the risk of accidentally turning it on remotely; this is a UL safety recommendation.
What is the warranty coverage for the ZEN15 Outdoor Double Plug?
- Zooz 500 series devices are covered by a 12 month warranty. Please register your device here and review the full warranty policy here.
Where can I find the ZEN15 device manual?
What kind of load is the ZEN15 rated for? What is its maximum rating?
- 15A, 1800W, 1 HP
Does the ZEN15 have energy or power monitoring?
- Yes. As long as your hub supports the functionality, and gives you access to the advanced settings, you can customize the energy monitoring reports your ZEN15 sends.
Can this unit's power monitoring be used to control a module to indicate a sump pump is on?
- You can use the ZEN15 for monitoring purposes only without issues.
- You can also disable manual and/or Z-Wave control to avoid accidental power shut-off to your sump pump.
What security level does the ZEN15 pair to my controller or hub with?
- The ZEN15 is a 500 series device, and the highest level of security it supports is S0 Legacy. Once it is an 800 series device, it will support S2 Authenticated.
Will the ZEN15 act as a signal repeater for other Z-Wave devices in my network?
- Yes. Your Z-Wave hub decides which devices to use to reach other Z-Wave devices. Any non-battery powered Z-Wave device will act as a signal repeater; it would be up to your hub whether or not it will be used in a communication route.
Do I need a Z-Wave hub to buy this device?
- No. The ZEN15 Power Switch has a button so you can have manual on/off control of the outlet and use it as such without a Z-Wave hub; however, to control the device remotely and access the advanced features, you would need a Z-Wave hub. The ZEN15 communicates via Z-Wave and would require a hub to allow you to control it remotely.
- To control any of our Z-Wave devices remotely through your smart phone, you'll need a compatible Z-Wave hub. These devices require a central controller that communicates with them and sends commands. Once you have a controller, you would download that controller's dedicated app on your phone and control your connected devices through that app.
Will I still be able to control the plug manually if my Z-Wave hub is down or offline?
- Yes. The ZEN15 functions like a regular plug and can control the connected load if the hub is offline.
- To control the device manually, you press the Z-Wave button once for on/off control.
Is the ZEN15 plug compatible with my hub?
- You can find a list of compatible hubs for a given device under the Works With section on the product's page. Here is the list of hubs compatible with the ZEN15.
Will the ZEN15 work with my alarm panel?
- Alarm panels like Alarm.com will typically only support single switches, door locks, select thermostats, and any authorized items on their list. We would recommend reaching out to your alarm panel company to verify compatibility and to get the latest on any device integrations they may be working on.
- The ZEN15 Power Switch should pair, but you would not have access to the advanced settings. It would be up to your alarm panel to integrate the device, as it follows Z-Wave protocol and has been Z-Wave certified. There is nothing we can change on our end to have the device be recognized correctly; Alarm.com would have to support the integration. Read more about alarm panel compatibility here.
Can I connect the ZEN15 directly to my Amazon Alexa, Google Home, or other smart speaker?
- No. Smart speakers like Alexa or Google are not equipped with a Z-Wave chip and are not Z-Wave gateway controllers.
- Smart speakers are integrated with certain Z-Wave hubs, like SmartThings or Hubitat, which is how you can have voice control of your Z-Wave devices from your smart speakers.
- Without a compatible Z-Wave hub, no Z-Wave products will function correctly with Alexa or Google alone.
Where do I find all of my plug's advanced settings?
How do I add the plug to my Z-Wave hub?
- SmartThings Installation articles
- Hubitat Installation articles
- Home Assistant Installation articles
- Z-Wave System Installation articles
How can I tell what firmware my ZEN15 is running on?
- The firmware that your device is shipped with should be printed on the back of the device where the model specifications are. If your hub supports and properly integrates the device, you should also see the firmware listed in your Z-Wave interface.
- Firmware that is listed as 1.01 (or any other value with a 0 in the middle) in the sensor's change log may display as 1.1 in your hub.
How do I update the firmware of my ZEN15?
- Some Z-Wave hubs have a built-in firmware updater that you can use. Otherwise, we recommend using the PC Controller tool on the Simplicity Studio Software as described here. You will need to register your device in order to have access to Zooz firmware files.
How long does the update take? How do I know when it's finished?
- Firmware updates should usually take anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes depending on connection quality and how much information needs to actually be updated on a given device.
- If it is taking longer than that, please try to bring the hub / controller closer to the device that is being updated.
Where can I find the history of changes and firmware updates for the ZEN15?
What series Z-Wave chip does the ZEN15 use?
- The ZEN15 uses a 500 series Z-Wave chip. We are in the process of updating this model to the new 800 series Z-Wave chip so it should be 800 series by the end of 2023.
Is the ZEN15 available in other Z-Wave frequencies?
- The ZEN15 is currently available in 908.42 MHz (US) frequency only. We do not currently have plans to release it in EU or AU frequency.
Check out the Zooz Knowledge Base for free support articles about the ZEN15 Power Switch (and all of our devices)!