SmartThings usually recognizes simple devices but does not display many of the available advanced settings. Custom handlers are pieces of code that allow users to take advantage of all of the advanced settings some of the newest devices offer; this way they can be fully customized if needed. SmartThings has been slower with officially integrating new Z-Wave products so the community has filled in that gap by providing custom handlers. This way all users can fully enjoy the latest Z-Wave devices.
In the event you haven't added a device handler before, the process is simple and only takes a few minutes. It will give you access to all of the Smart Plug's advanced settings and configuration options. Here's how to do it:
1. Exclude the plug from your network and log in here with the same information you use for your SmartThings app.
2. Click on My Device Handlers in the top menu.
3. In the top right corner, click on "Create new device handler" and choose "from code" from the top tab menu. You'll be presented with a blank area where you can paste the code from the following link. Please click on this link to access the code, then copy ALL of the code from the page.
4. Next, scroll to the bottom and click Create.
5. Now click Save, then click Publish > For Me.
You should now see this device type in your list of device handlers. Now, plug the Smart Plug into a receptacle within direct range of SmartThings. Then press and release the Z-Wave button while making sure the LED indicator is on. Next, add the Smart Plug to SmartThings by clicking "Add thing" on your app and pressing the Z-Wave button 3 times very quickly.
Once you include the plug and move it to its installation location, it never hurts to perform Network Repair for optimal performance. This will help SmartThings find the most efficient communication route to the Smart Plug. Here's how to perform Network Repair.
Once the handler is installed and the Smart Plug is included to your SmartThings network, click on the Smart Plug in your app and click on the gear icon in the top right corner to access the device's advanced settings. There you'll be able to customize your plug as needed.
If you're having issues during the handler installation process or anything else, please reach out to us! Our team is ready to help.