SmartThings usually recognizes simple devices but does not display many of the available advanced settings. Custom handlers are pieces of code that allow users to take advantage of all of the advanced settings some of the newest devices offer; this allows you to fully customize the device if needed. SmartThings has been slower with officially integrating new Z-Wave products, so the community fills in that gap by creating custom handlers.
If you haven't added a device handler before, the process is simple and takes less than 5 minutes. It will give you access to all of the Power Switch's advanced settings and configuration options, like reporting frequency and on/off status recovery.
1. Exclude the switch from your network and log in here with the same information you use for your SmartThings app.
2. Click on My Device Handlers in the top menu.
3. In the top right corner, click on "Create new device handler" and choose "from code" from the top tab menu. You'll be presented with a blank area where you can paste the code from the following link. Please click on this link to access the code, then copy ALL of the code from the page.
4. Next, scroll to the bottom and click Create.
5. Now click Save, then click Publish > For Me.
You should now see this device type in your list of device handlers. Now add the Power Switch to SmartThings by clicking on "Add thing" in your app and plugging it in to the nearest outlet. Remember to keep the device within direct range of your hub during inclusion. The device should be automatically discovered as the Zooz Power Switch.
Once you include the switch and move it to its installation location, it's a good idea to perform Network Repair to ensure good connectivity. This will help SmartThings find the most efficient communication route to the Power Switch. Here's how to perform Network Repair.
Once the handler is installed and the Power Switch is included to your SmartThings network, click on the device in your app and click on the gear icon in the top right corner to access the device's advanced settings. There you'll be able to customize your Power Switch to your specifications.
If you're having issues during the handler installation process or anything else, please reach out to us!