Can't Connect My Power Strip to SmartThings
Exclusion should be your go-to move anytime you have trouble adding any Z-Wave device.
But before that, check if you're using the SmartThings Classic app or the newer SmartThings app. As of October 2018, you'll need the Classic app to properly include and exclude the Power Strip.
Give exclusion a try if you've attempted to include the strip with these steps, but you're seeing configuration issues or are generally unable to add the device to your SmartThings hub. Exclusion is a Z-Wave reset that can help with these types of issues. Devices don't need to be included properly to be able to be excluded. Here's how to exclude the device using the SmartThings Classic app:
- Tap the menu icon in your SmartThings app
- Tap Hub is online
- Tap Z-Wave Utilities
- Tap General Device Exclusion
- The app will show this message: “Please follow the manufacturer’s instructions to remove the Z-Wave device from My SmartThings.” There will also be a spinning circle next to the message “Exclusion Mode Active”
- Press and release the CH1 button 3 times quickly
- The app will confirm device exclusion
- Tap Done
Once exclusion is completed, try including the Power Strip again using the set-up process shown here. If you're still unable to include your strip after exclusion, here are some alternative troubleshoots that may also solve the problem:
- Try the exclusion process again! Sometimes commands from the first run aren't registered correctly, so it can't hurt to try again.
- Try bringing the device closer to your hub and adding it from there. If the Power Strip adds without any issue, the first location may have been out of range.
- Try the exclusion process again, only this time instead of pressing the CH1 button 3 times, try pressing the button 5-6 times firmly and as quickly as possible. This can help make sure the commands go through.
- And if you find that your Power Strip is connected but it's not responded to remote commands, check out these tips for troubleshooting connectivity.
But if you're still seeing issues with the exclusion/inclusion process no matter what you try, please let us know! We're always happy to help.