"Inclusion" is a catch-all term for adding or pairing a device to your Z-Wave system.
You'll need to include your sensor to your network before mounting it in its final location. You can include it automatically or manually, so if auto-inclusion doesn't work out you can always try manual inclusion. You can also include the device while powered by battery or USB cable. When including it on USB, the sensor will act as a Z-Wave signal repeater.
To auto-include your ZSE18 Motion Sensor on battery power:
1. Put your Z-Wave hub into inclusion/pairing mode (see your hub's manual for instructions since each brand is different)
2. Twist open the cover of the sensor to access the battery
3. Remove the plastic wrapping covering the battery along with the plastic battery tab
4. Activating the battery will automatically put the sensor into inclusion mode. If it doesn't appear on your device list within 30 seconds, try resetting it and including it manually
If for whatever reason you'd like to try auto-inclusion again after giving it a try, remove the battery for at least 2 minutes before auto-including the second time. The sensor needs to be without power for these 2 minutes so it can refresh.
Here's how to manually include your motion sensor on battery power:
1. Bring the sensor within 3 feet of your Z-Wave hub
2. Put the Z-Wave hub into inclusion/pairing mode
3. Press and release the Z-Wave button 3 times quickly. The LED indicator will start blinking fast and turn solid for a second to confirm inclusion
4. A new motion sensor will appear in your device list
If you've tried auto and manual inclusion but find the sensor is just not showing up, the first thing you should try is excluding the unit and then giving inclusion another go.
Have any questions about the inclusion process? Please let us know! We're always happy to help.